Global stratospheric aerosol extinction profile retrievals from SCIAMACHY limb-scatter observations
Abstract. Stratospheric aerosol extinction profiles are retrieved from SCIAMACHY/Envisat limb-scatter observations in the visible spectral range. The retrieval algorithm is based on a colour-index approach using the normalized limb-radiance profiles at 470 nm and 750 nm wavelength. The optimal estimation approach in combination with the radiative transfer model SCIATRAN is employed for the retrievals. This study presents a detailed description of the retrieval algorithm, and a sensitivity analysis investigating the impact of the most important parameters that affect the aerosol extinction profile retrieval accuracy. It is found that the parameter with the largest impact is surface albedo, particularly for SCIAMACHY observations in the Southern Hemisphere where the error in stratospheric aerosol extinction can be up to 50% if the surface albedo is not well known. The effect of errors in the assumed ozone and neutral density profiles on the aerosol profile retrievals is with generally less than 6% relatively small. The aerosol extinction profiles retrieved from SCIAMACHY are compared with co-located SAGE II solar occultation measurements of stratospheric aerosol extinction during the period 2003–2005. The mean aerosol extinction profiles averaged over all co-locations agree to within 20% between 15 and 35 km altitude. However, larger differences are observed at specific latitudes.
F. Ernst et al.
F. Ernst et al.
F. Ernst et al.
14 citations as recorded by crossref.
- Absorbing aerosol radiative effects in the limb-scatter viewing geometry A. Wiacek et al. 10.5194/amt-6-2761-2013
- A Multiwavelength Retrieval Approach for Improved OSIRIS Aerosol Extinction Retrievals L. Rieger et al. 10.1029/2018JD029897
- Error budget analysis of SCIAMACHY limb ozone profile retrievals using the SCIATRAN model N. Rahpoe et al. 10.5194/amt-6-2825-2013
- Emission factors based estimation of exhaust emissions with biodiesel blended fuel from naval vessel propulsive diesel engine H. Lee 10.5916/jkosme.2013.37.4.332
- The Aerosol Limb Imager: acousto-optic imaging of limb-scattered sunlight for stratospheric aerosol profiling B. Elash et al. 10.5194/amt-9-1261-2016
- UTLS water vapour from SCIAMACHY limb measurementsV3.01 (2002–2012) K. Weigel et al. 10.5194/amt-9-133-2016
- The Ozone Mapping and Profiler Suite (OMPS) Limb Profiler (LP) Version 1 aerosol extinction retrieval algorithm: theoretical basis R. Loughman et al. 10.5194/amt-11-2633-2018
- The sensitivity to polarization in stratospheric aerosol retrievals from limb scattered sunlight measurements B. Elash et al. 10.1016/j.jqsrt.2016.11.014
- A comparison of lognormal and gamma size distributions for characterizing the stratospheric aerosol phase function from optical particle counter measurements E. Nyaku et al. 10.5194/amt-13-1071-2020
- Radiative transfer through terrestrial atmosphere and ocean: Software package SCIATRAN V. Rozanov et al. 10.1016/j.jqsrt.2013.07.004
- Characterisation of a stratospheric sulfate plume from the Nabro volcano using a combination of passive satellite measurements in nadir and limb geometry M. Penning de Vries et al. 10.5194/acp-14-8149-2014
- A study of the approaches used to retrieve aerosol extinction, as applied to limb observations made by OSIRIS and SCIAMACHY L. Rieger et al. 10.5194/amt-11-3433-2018
- Global validation of SCIAMACHY limb ozone data (versions 2.9 and 3.0, IUP Bremen) using ozonesonde measurements J. Jia et al. 10.5194/amt-8-3369-2015
- Improved stratospheric aerosol extinction profiles from SCIAMACHY: validation and sample results C. von Savigny et al. 10.5194/amt-8-5223-2015