Articles | Volume 9, issue 9
Atmos. Meas. Tech., 9, 4547–4560, 2016
https://doi.org/10.5194/amt-9-4547-2016
Atmos. Meas. Tech., 9, 4547–4560, 2016
https://doi.org/10.5194/amt-9-4547-2016
Research article
14 Sep 2016
Research article | 14 Sep 2016

Inter-comparison of NIOSH and IMPROVE protocols for OC and EC determination: implications for inter-protocol data conversion

Cheng Wu et al.

Viewed

Total article views: 2,276 (including HTML, PDF, and XML)
HTML PDF XML Total Supplement BibTeX EndNote
1,257 970 49 2,276 473 54 84
  • HTML: 1,257
  • PDF: 970
  • XML: 49
  • Total: 2,276
  • Supplement: 473
  • BibTeX: 54
  • EndNote: 84
Views and downloads (calculated since 24 May 2016)
Cumulative views and downloads (calculated since 24 May 2016)

Cited

Latest update: 08 Aug 2022
Download
Short summary
Organic carbon (OC) and elemental carbon (EC) in more than 1300 Hong Kong samples were analyzed using both NIOSH TOT and IMPROVE TOR protocols. EC discrepancy between the two protocols mainly (83 %) arises from a difference in peak inert mode temperature, while the rest (17 %) is attributed to a difference in the optical method (transmittance vs. reflectance) applied for the charring correction. Two approaches are proposed to translate NIOSH TOT OC and EC data into IMPROVE TOR OC and EC data.